Thursday, November 10, 2011

Choosing A Technology

I met a lot of bright people today. I company that analyzes customer's financial data and enables them to make the right decisions. A company that recycles your technology. A company that tracks sicknesses across the US based on Facebook and Twitter feeds. A company that suggests people and things you will like based on who you are. And finally a company that makes sense of customer's review. It will gather thousands of reviews and provide a transparent unbiased rating based on the language of the reviews.

The best part was I asked each what their back-end infrastructure was composed of. As I get closer to jumping on my own venture, more and more are backends becoming more demystified and less intimidating. A lot of what is customer facing hides the simple and humble technologies I have been coming across for years.

When starting a new project I always wonder if I am implementing it in the bet manner. And there are many sure fire wrong way to do things but there is also is not just one right way. There always seems to be a "SHINY NEW TECHNOLOGY"I can use to simplify things. Or I may be using a technology that is "OUTDATED"! But more and more I realize if it's reliable and tested, why not?

I will never stop learning new technologies but it's OK to stick to a few core ones, start building and just drive a project home.