Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Ethnography

I think I do this every day.

According to Wikipedia, ethnography is a qualitative research design aimed at exploring cultural phenomena. It means not just reading about a culture
but engraving yourself in it and understanding the most minute and, what may seem, insignificant behavior. Observing the world from the culture's point of view and not from the typical point of view of the "observer". Of course while experts in the ethnography field use this to publish papers I find it fascinating and useful for everyday life.

I just learned this word and it vastly explains my inclination to sit back and observe when I first enter a new environment. Especially one where social interaction is key for success. It allows me to learn the culture and understand the behavior and dynamics of this new environment. How people interact with each other and what kind of language both verbal and non verbal is used. It helps to understand how the new individuals in this environment think they are perceived in the world and how they want to be perceived in the world. I can learn the language and be able to communicate better.

And of course, at the same time, I follow my number one motto of all times: ask questions. This is even more in line with ethnography because it contributes to understanding the culture by interviewing. It's all about data gathering.

This may seem like treating everyone like a bunch of lab rats but its not. And it's even less about manipulation. Mostly this helps with timing. Timing in all areas. Like when to ask more personal questions, when to open myself up more, or even when to throw my joke in. As well as in how to start contributing, WHERE to start contributing and picking up interesting and valuable traits. Because being part of the culture strengthens the bond of the group which in turns is usually more productive.

And then I can add my ZING! :)